Town in SW central France, on the Dordogne River, 25 mi SSW of Perigueux. Bergerac was capturedby the English in 1152, fortified, and held intermittently by them until France reconquered it in 1450. It flourished in the 16th century, but since most of its inhabitants were Calvinists, it suffered greatly in the Wars of Religion. In 1577 Bergerac was the scene of the signing of the Peace of Bergerac, the sixth peace between Catholics and Protestants, which was as ineffective as its predecessors in ending religious upheavals.In 1621 its fortifications and citadel were torn down by Louis XIII. In 1685 the revocation of the Edict of Nantes drove out its Protestant workers and crippled its commerce.